For all those who aspire to choose Dentistry as profession here are few key facts and insights from Dentist in UK about Dentist as a Career Perspective.
Who is a dentist?
One who performs diagnoses on patients tooth and mouth tissues and accordingly prescribes a treatment for the diagnosed problem. These treatments may involve filling cavities, removing the tooth, repair broken or damage tooth etc. There are many who undertake general dental practices while few select specialization.
List of various dental specialization
• Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons they operate patients mouth and jaws.
• Oral & Maxillofacial Radiologist with the help of imaging technology examines problem in neck & head.
• Orthodontists align the crooked teeth with help of braces/ retainers.
• Preiodontists treat in gum diseases and bones that hold up teeth.
• Pediatric dentist treat in small children.
• Endodontists do a root canal surgery.
• Prosthodontists fix in missing tooth with help of bridges, dentures etc.
• Public health dentist serve community and work for social well being.
Basic Educational Requirements
Basic 5 years of undergraduate study for becoming a B.D.S / BchD (Must be registered under General Dental Council). Then 2 years of vocational training to get registered under National Health Service.
Overall UK has 16 dental schools among which five offer undergraduate dental study to those students who have an upper 2.1 and studied biomedical. The competition is intense when comes to taking admission for undergraduate dental studies. Fee is high as most are self funded schools.
Overall 147,000 dentist are employed this includes those who work and co-own private practice. Usually, most dentists have to work full time, busy over weekends and evening specially.